Water exercise, carefully structured, can make a major contribution to the flexibility and strength of the body. Because of the non-weight bearing factor, the movements are performed with a far greater degree of comfort. These exercises will benefit the older person suffering from painful joints, arthritis, rheumatism, back disorders, and varicose veins, enabling them to relax and enjoy the workout.
Features of Aquatic Therapy Program
- one-on-one care between the physiotherapist and the patient
- pool program combined with land-based exercises as tolerated by each patient
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy
- Buoyancy – this reduces the force of gravity, thereby decreasing the effect of weight bearing on the injured or strained tissues.
- Viscosity of Water – offers gentle resistance against the patients’ movements.
- Hydrostatic Pressure – the pressure of the water exerted on the patient assists in reducing edema or swelling.